A Radical Lent
I haven't been posting much lately about our "radical" lifestyle. It's been intentional. Because it really doesn't feel all that radical at times. I mean yes, we are trying to spend less so we can give away more. (And because of God's faithfulness we are giving away way more than we ever have!) But it feels more like a thrifty mom trying to clip extra coupons to save a few bucks here and there. It doesn't feel all that "radical". It's not like we've given up our home or or our comforts or our freedom or anything actually "radical". We've given up buying movies and expensive ice cream and unnecessary hair products and other less than important items. That's not all that radical in my book.
Today being Ash Wednesday, my thoughts have been on Lent. Growing up, our church did not celebrate Lent. But one of my best friends through grade school and high school was Catholic. So everything I knew about Lent, I learned from her. I knew that you were not supposed to eat meat on Fridays. I only learned this because my friend got busted (big time!) by her mother for doing just that. I also learned that during Lent, you were supposed to "give up" something, whether it be a certain food, or activity. I had no idea why, I just knew that was what you did during Lent.
Traditionally the Reformed faith does not practice the celebration of Lent. But after reading an article by Elliot Grudem and Bruce Benedict called WHY BOTHER WITH LENT?, I am considering some type of fast during Lent. Here is a little of what they say on the subject:
"Fasting is traditionally the act of willingly abstaining from some or all food, drink, or
both, for a limited time. Some people give up a certain behavior or habits during the season.
We fast (not just during Lent) because Jesus told us to do so (Matt. 6:16, Mark 2:20). We fast
because we continue to see the pattern of fasting practiced in the Church (Acts 13, for example).
We fast because it is one of the means God uses to break the power of sin in our lives, prepare us
well for prayer, and humble us before him (for unlike God, we need food to live).
The act of self-denial can be a helpful tool in your Christian growth. There is nothing magic about
it; however it can be a helpful reminder of your deep need for Jesus and the way that Jesus meets
and satisfies your every need."
I've also been inspired by a book by Chris Seay entitled: "A Place at the Table 40 Days of Solidarity with the Poor". This idea of "fasting" consists of only eating foods that are typical to poor families, like chicken, beans, rice, and tortillas. This sounds doable in my book. Kind of. Chicken, rice, and beans for dinner for 40 days?!
Another Lenten concept I read about this morning comes fro Karen Ehman's blog: Live your Priorities, Love your Life. Instead of "giving something up" for Lent, she is "taking something on" during Lent. This could be helping in a soup kitchen, visiting the old folks home, etc. She has decided to write a note to someone, each day, for the 40 days of Lent. Now this is something I can do!
I have no idea what this Lenten journey will look like. I've never attempted anything like this before in my life. But I think this is the next "radical" step that God is calling me to. Yesterday I was arguing with myself about even beginning to attempt something like this. I told myself, "I can't do this!". And as soon as that thought popped into my head, so did the verse from Philippians, "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength." So dear Lord! Give me strength!!
Have a blessed day and a blessed Lenten season!
Krystal
Today being Ash Wednesday, my thoughts have been on Lent. Growing up, our church did not celebrate Lent. But one of my best friends through grade school and high school was Catholic. So everything I knew about Lent, I learned from her. I knew that you were not supposed to eat meat on Fridays. I only learned this because my friend got busted (big time!) by her mother for doing just that. I also learned that during Lent, you were supposed to "give up" something, whether it be a certain food, or activity. I had no idea why, I just knew that was what you did during Lent.Traditionally the Reformed faith does not practice the celebration of Lent. But after reading an article by Elliot Grudem and Bruce Benedict called WHY BOTHER WITH LENT?, I am considering some type of fast during Lent. Here is a little of what they say on the subject:
"Fasting is traditionally the act of willingly abstaining from some or all food, drink, or
both, for a limited time. Some people give up a certain behavior or habits during the season.
We fast (not just during Lent) because Jesus told us to do so (Matt. 6:16, Mark 2:20). We fast
because we continue to see the pattern of fasting practiced in the Church (Acts 13, for example).
We fast because it is one of the means God uses to break the power of sin in our lives, prepare us
well for prayer, and humble us before him (for unlike God, we need food to live).
The act of self-denial can be a helpful tool in your Christian growth. There is nothing magic about
it; however it can be a helpful reminder of your deep need for Jesus and the way that Jesus meets
and satisfies your every need."
I've also been inspired by a book by Chris Seay entitled: "A Place at the Table 40 Days of Solidarity with the Poor". This idea of "fasting" consists of only eating foods that are typical to poor families, like chicken, beans, rice, and tortillas. This sounds doable in my book. Kind of. Chicken, rice, and beans for dinner for 40 days?!
Another Lenten concept I read about this morning comes fro Karen Ehman's blog: Live your Priorities, Love your Life. Instead of "giving something up" for Lent, she is "taking something on" during Lent. This could be helping in a soup kitchen, visiting the old folks home, etc. She has decided to write a note to someone, each day, for the 40 days of Lent. Now this is something I can do!
I have no idea what this Lenten journey will look like. I've never attempted anything like this before in my life. But I think this is the next "radical" step that God is calling me to. Yesterday I was arguing with myself about even beginning to attempt something like this. I told myself, "I can't do this!". And as soon as that thought popped into my head, so did the verse from Philippians, "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength." So dear Lord! Give me strength!!
Have a blessed day and a blessed Lenten season!
Krystal
Comments